A volunteer organization dedicated to saving lives through search, rescue, and mountain safety education.
The Basic Mountaineering Course is offered by Central Washington Mountain Rescue (CWMR) as community service.
This course introduces the beginner climber to basic mountaineering skills. Students will learn about climbing and safety equipment, risk and hazard evaluation, and physiological needs of the climber. Basic through easy Class 5 rock climbing and how to set up a top rope system will be covered. Safe methods of snow travel, glacier travel, and crevasse rescue techniques will also be discussed.
Step 1) Complete and submit online application and $175 fee.
Step 2) Receive confirmation email [to assure space if available]
NOTE: Registration is not complete until the confirmation email is received AND the $175 recovery fee/donation is paid. Space is limited. Spaces will be held in the order registrations are received WITH payment.
- Minimum age of 18.
- General physical fitness that includes the ability to carry a pack of 25 lbs or more uphill through 1,000 feet of elevation gain over uneven, rocky, and snowy terrain in an hour or less to be demonstrated any time prior to participation in the Glacier Travel field session in June, which is essential for safety.
- Complete required readings
- Active participation in all class and field sessions
- Transportation to all sessions (carpooling coordination available)
- Personal gear such as pack and appropriate clothing for the mountain environment (information and details to be provided during class; can be borrowed; all necessary technical gear is provided)
Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills, 9th Edition, by the Mountaineers and Ronald C. Eng
Mondays 6:00-8:30 P.M.
April 08, 15, 29, May 06, 13, 20
Held at Yakima County Emergency Management Office, 2403 S 18th St, Union Gap, WA 98903
Thu Apr 25 & May 02 - Franklin Park, Yakima
Sat May 11 - White Pass Ski Resort, White Pass
Sat/Sun May 18/19 - Royal Columns, Naches
Sat Jun 08 - Paradise, Mt. Rainier NP
Optional Rock Climbing Practice Sessions:
Wed Apr 10 to May 22, unless otherwise noted
At Cowiche Canyon via Wilridge Winery, Yakima
Daniel Mick - BMC Coordinator